Living on the east coast lately, has meant you’re basically cold on some part of your body all day. Whether it’s your fingertips, feet or even your butt! (as it is in my case, which I totally don’t understand). It’s just damn cold out there, and since I really don’t want to fatten myself up anymore than I already have this winter, soups are such a fantastic way to keep warm and eat a lot of veggies. I originally was given this recipe by my sister’s friend. The original recipe called for some butter and some cream, which I opted to leave out to cut the fat content down, but basically it’s the same. I also added some thyme at the end to give it a fragrant taste.
It’s really a simple and easy soup. Thoroughly wash your leeks, since they are grown thru the soil, there can be a lot of dirt in between each layer. While you’re roasting the cauliflower and garlic, you sauté your leeks in a pan to soften them up a bit…
Also, in the photos you’ll see that I used my Vitamix (seriously, I should get some kind of fee since I feel like I mention them all the time! :). I have to admit this was the first time I used that soup function and was completely shocked that it worked! I mean, it worked so well I had to use an oven mitt to take the container off when it was finished! You’ll see how the soup continues to grow in the vitamix. This soup will keep for about 5 days. Make this for the next winter blast- you’ll be happy you did!!
- 2 TBS. Olive Oil
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 3 Garlic cloves with skin on
- 3 Leeks cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups vegetable stock (1 1/2 boxes veg stock)
- 2 tsp. of salt or more if needed.
- Pepper to taste
- 1 sprig of thyme, leaves pulled off
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Cut up head of cauliflower and place florets on baking sheet.
- Add garlic cloves with skin on.
- Sprinkle with olive oil and roast for about 20-25 minutes, when just lightly browned and garlic is soft.
- While the cauliflower and garlic are roasting, in a saute' pan, prepare your leeks.
- Cut the ends off of leeks and then slice length-wise in half. Wash thoroughly with water.
- Add some olive oil to coat bottom of pan and cut up leeks.
- Saute' in pan until tender, about 5-10 minutes and set aside.
- **See note if you do not have a Vitamix blender
- Add the roasted garlic, cauliflower, and sautéed leeks to your Vitamix container.
- Pour all of the vegetable stock, it should cover all of the cauliflower. Add more to completely cover if needed.
- Add salt, pepper and thyme.
- Use soup function button and let the machine do the rest.
- It should take about roughly a full 5 minutes to complete, depending on your machine.
- Add a sprig of thyme for decoration and serve immediately!
- **At this point, put all of ingredients- roasted cauliflower, garlic, leeks, and vegetable stock in a stock pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and blend in blender, being mindful of how hot it is. OR use an immersion blender and just blend the soup in the pot. Serve directly from pot.
- Soup will keep for about 5 days in fridge.